Sunday, May 9, 2010

Saturday Centus & Pre-Blogaversary!

The awesome Jenny Matlock has started a new writing meme that I'm really excited about! She'll post an 100-word starter prompt, to which you use your writing skillz (!) to finish the short story in 100 words or less. It's called the Saturday Centus and my entry is below; Jenny's prompt is first in blue, and my finish is in purple. Go check it out via the button below. :)

Jenny Matlock


My untied shoelace changed my life. As I leaned down to re-tie it, I kicked away a few leaves. When I turned my head slightly to look where the leaves had been, I was astonished to see a rubber-banded wad of hundred dollar bills nestled in a little indention in the muddy ground.

I should never have picked up that money.

Hurried footfalls out of the park, trying to be discreet. A chill up my spine. Something wasn't right here, and regardless of the other activity about it suddenly seemed eerily quiet to me. Had I stumbled upon some sort of sinister dealing?

A glance back over one shoulder barely caught the two men following me. My heart skipped a beat, and the blood in my veins momentarily turned to ice. I had little choice. The money was dropped, and I took off like a shot.

The chase was on.

* * *

My little ol' blog is having its 1-year anniversary in a week or so! NO WAY! (Yeah way!) So I'm going to be having a little giveaway that I'm excited about... what, you want hints as to what it's going to be? It's cute, little, full of local awesomeness, and made by ME! So yup, it'll be awesome! ;)

16 comments:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

What a fun writing prompt! And such a great idea for a meme.

And I am very excited about your giveaway AND your blogoversary!

Viki said...

Oh, this was so interesting. Sounds like there is much more to this story. Great job!!

kim said...

that sounds like a great book, I'd definitely read this one!

Being Tazim said...

congrats on your early blog anniversary!!

I am a new follower from blog frog!

Tazim
http://beingtazim.blogspot.com

Christy said...

Oh, I want to know if you were caught?! Great cliff hanger.

Tracy said...

Ok where is the rest please great ending but also a fantastic begining

Kellie said...

I love writing prompts!

Gnetch said...

Yay!! I'm greeting you in advance. Happy blogoversary. I'm looking forward to more fun posts from you. :)

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

This is my favorite so far, Sami!

Cheryl said...

Fun take on this meme. And yes, I want to know the rest of the story too!

Jenny said...

Darn. I need to know what happened! Acccckkkk!

What a great direction you crafted.

I am amazed how much story development you had in only 100 words!

You rock!

jfb57 said...

Loved the tension you created! Wanted to go on whichis sign of excellent writinbg! Brill!

KCSherri said...

A cliffhanger! Love it!

Melissa said...

Good job on the story. Woot!

What have you learned over the year? What were your highs/ lows?

Vicki/Jake said...

'Run Forest, Run!' Sorry, had to do the humor thing...
Great story and cliff hanger!

Tina said...

Great story! And congrats on your blogaversary!