So it's definitely well into February by this point (and I'm chilling on my couch watching the Superbowl - Go Saints!) and I'm thinking about my New Years Resolution for this year - get in shape! And we've been doing - exercising for at least an hour every day with either yoga, cardio, and weight training. And it's working out GREAT! I used to be sluggish but now I have so much more energy. And it's only been about 30 days but I have been noticing some minor changes body-wise for the better -- while I only weigh about 122, I've got some big ol' thighs and hips, and the dreaded stomach pooch. Not so much anymore!
I think the hardest thing in this regimen is to EAT BETTER. Ooohhh today I had a MAJOR cheeseburger craving when we were out at lunch! But I did the good girl thing and ordered the grilled chicken wrap. (And it was DARN yummy!) Here are some of the things I've been doing lately, and some I've been doing for a while, that are little changes that are definitely helping!
- Cheese. Oooohhh mommy do I love cheese. (At lunch sometimes, years ago, I used to just go to the grocery store and buy slices of mozzarella and eat them... oh so bad!) But yeah, I haven't met a cheese I don't like. It's tough to not eat cheese, but the Laughing Cow makes some absolutely AMAZING 80 calorie cheese wedges. I was skeptical at first. 80 calorie cheese? Yeah, probably tastes like mulch. Not so, my friends - this cheese has BIG taste with little calories. Love to spread it on some low fat Ritz and go to town!
- Cream cheese. Sort of on the cheese bandwagon; there was a time where I was having a bagel LOADED with cream cheese every morning for breakfast. (That must be where those thighs came from...) Unlike the Laughing Cow, low calorie cream cheese just tastes like poop to me, so I won't eat it. Thusly I haven't had ANY bagels and cream cheese at all this year! I've actually been making a lot of fruit smoothies for breakfast with bananas or mangoes, nonfat yogurt, and nonfat milk. They're surprisingly filling! And fruit is yum!
- No soda. I stopped drinking soda a few years ago actually and I remember when I did; within weeks I felt SO much better and had actually lost a few pounds! Very very rarely will I have a soda, and it's always when we're out somewhere. But I remember when I used to stock the fridge with that stuff weekly... ugghh...
- No fast food. This isn't really tough for me because I don't really eat a lot of it to start with, but sometimes the Burger King down the street just smells too good to pass up. If we get a fast food craving we'll usually hop down to Chik-Fil-A, they have some major yummy chicken wraps!
- Starbucks. Oh white chocolate mocha. (And all of those tastily evil holiday mochas!) SO yummy. This is a REALLY HARD ONE!!! Starbucks used to be a staple for us. It still is, but not as much; I'll go maybe once a week, if that, and when I do I usually get a hot tea or a light tea latte. Their Awake latte is amazing, and a tall nonfat is only 120 calories!
- Sodium. My mom actually got on my case about this; what in the world?! ;) Anyway this is a toughie too, there seems to be a decent amount of sodium in EVERYTHING. :( A lot of the frozen healthy meals I get are packed with sodium unfortunately, so I can't always rely on that for lunch. It seems the only way to really do this one is to eat a lot of fresh, organic ingredients every day and that can get a smidge more pricey than a Smart Ones out of the freezer section.
Okay, enough babbling out of me. :) Any tips that you find work well? Let us all know! And if I hear either that Jay-Z/Rihanna song OR any more out of Daughtry *barf* on this Superbowl anymore, I'm turnin' it off!